Okay, it's Easter, but I can't help but silently root for the possible return of a truly evil character this week. And during Easter week some old joys were resurrected as my alma mater, the University of Dayton, thumped their way to the National Invitational Tournament championship.
First the evil one. As I have mentioned previously in this forum I do follow at a distance the travails of The Young & The Restless and it's overall impact on daytime television. The show has flopped around quite a bit during the past year or so, but recently seems to have developed some interesting story-lines. It still features far too much face time for Eileen Davidson (as Ashley), and her absurd dalliances with Kristoff St. John's character are simply painful. [She must have the producer's testicles locked in a vise.]
No, what gives me a grin is the shadowy figure who's face we do not see and the whispers of a distraught Tracey Bregman who fears that 'Sheila' is behind the attacks on her fragile psyche.
I can only hope.
I actually met Kimberlin Brown (who plays Sheila [pictured tormenting Ronn Moss in The Bold and the Beautiful]) at a Crosby Golf Tournament in Winston-Salem, N.C., back in the mid-90s. She was a participant and I was a media go'fer of sorts, part of a team assembled to tend to the needs of legendary sports heroes and celebrities. Ms. Brown brought her mother to the event and as I recognized the actress from her Sheila exploits, the woman could not have been a nicer human being — the furthest thing from her on-screen persona of a crazed, vindictive psycho-killer.
She was voted "Outstanding Villainess" at the 1992 and 1994 Soap Opera Digest Awards, and was nominated in the same category in 1993, 1995, and 1996. She also received an Emmy Award nomination in 1992 for "Outstanding Supporting Actress."
After the golf tournament I sent Ms. Brown a card saying how nice it was to meet her and her mother and what a fun experience it was for me. About a year later I received a fan mail newsletter from her (staff) and an autographed photo. I got a chuckle out of that one. I still have the photo.
Hopefully she is returning to Y&R so she can show the other wicked wannabes what true evil is, and even more hopefully the tortured producer can free himself soon enough to redirect Sheila's rage away from Ms. Bregman and toward that sniveling waste of space Ashley character.
Happy Easter.
And, oh, way to go UD!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment