Sunday, May 2, 2010

What's that threatening our border?

   Well, I guess you can pick whether it's illegal immigrants or a fat oil slick, in either case it's not pretty.
   Say what you will regarding Arizona's latest attempt to stem the tide of violence in that porous state, but I cannot think of a more complex issue than illegal "immigration" facing America (other than health care). {Education is an ongoing battle but at least there's a measure of local control until you get the kids out of high school}.
   I think more is lost than is gained as the political rhetoric rises, but there are a couple of aspects that catch my attention:
   If you are in this country illegally you must either leave or become legal (i.e become a guest worker) and in order to get on the path to citizenry you must obtain some form of identification card. I do not know how much simpler that could be! Whatever party affiliation or religious or moral compass one is guided by, I cannot understand any argument against this.
   Second, I do not understand how anyone who claims to champion human dignity can allow the daily, systematic rape and brutalization of women and children who are dumped in the desert to die or barely survive once they have crossed the border.
   This simply cannot go on anymore in this country; a country that claims to be a beacon of humanity and preaches to the world about liberty.
   Did we not learn from the near elimination of Native Americans? Or the brutality of slavery and the pain and the problems that persist from that history?
   Evidently not much.
   But since the federal government doesn't see it as much of a problem, it's no wonder Arizona is having to try something that seems so extreme.
   Now, where is that oil slick? I think Mother Nature may end up drowning out some of the screaming about the border scramble.

No comments: