Sunday, May 15, 2011

Filling in the missing 'planks'

   Well it's nice to know the current 'cool' generation has reached new depths in slackerdom and it was only a matter of time before the bodies started to pile up.
   No, I'm not talking about yapping or texting while driving. The US government doesn't want us to know how dangerous that is [and check out this Italian bus driver].
   I'm talking about 'planking,' a new phenomenon by the folks who bring us annoying flash mobs and nutless gibberish on Twitter.
   As the BBC reports:
  "Planking involves someone lying flat on their stomach in unusual and sometimes dangerous situations, and posting photographs on social media websites."
   Well, leave it to an Aussie to try this on a 7-story balcony ... and fail. (I can't imagine that alcohol was involved in any way.)
   Perhaps they'll come up with a new category in the Darwin Awards for this bunch, because this is just so stupid.
   I can envision the 'inventors' of this phenomenon hunting for five hours through bong smoke searching for a pen to scrawl out the epiphany — "Lie .. on ... stomach."
   Don't get me wrong, I did some dumb stuff from my late teens to mid 30s, but only one spontaneous exercise came even close to this silliness.*
   I guess we can applaud the fact that the kids are getting off the couch ... I mean at least they're getting their asses off the couch.
   If anything else, it may begin to open up the job market for more mature workers as the 'plankers' continue to off themselves like lemmings.
   And I wonder ... if Courtney Love or Gwen Stefani engaged in planking, would it be called "skanking" or "skaplanking"?
   * 'Huggerin' is a winter sport. It involves squatting behind a car (preferably a 1961 Ford Galaxie), grasping the bottom of the bumper, and skidding on you boot soles at about 35 mph along the snow-packed ice of the Rona Hills subdivision in Fairborn, Ohio.)

No comments: