Sunday, July 10, 2011

Screw science, we got some killin' to do

   While most mourn the end of the shuttle program, I simply think it means a shift from dollars spent on out of this world life-enhancing experiments to dollars spent on cleaner methods of killing people.
   With budgets and debt limits strangling the (purported) economic recovery in its crib, the US simply cannot afford to spend billions of dollars to figure out new ways to manufacture ready to eat meals or see if poop from a weightless bug floats up or down.
   Considering the shifting sands of the global political landscape I do believe that those NASA dollars will be trucked over to the Pentagon [and undisclosed locations] in order to construct a shield/attack system that can hang above the Middle East.
   Ever since Reagan pushed his Strategic Defense Initiative back in the '80s you can bet the boys in the lab coats have been working overtime on how to make "Star Wars" happen. With the collapse of the Soviet Union in '89, the lights quickly dimmed on any 'urgent' need for SDI, at least publicly.
   Yeah, right.
   Oddly enough another flighty subject buzzed through my brain this morning.
  I was reminded of the 2009 Miracle on the Hudson airliner-in-the-river calamity/sensation.
   It still blows my mind that we haven't developed a technology which would keep birds from flying into jet engines and bringing the plane down.
   I would think that if you wrap the cowling with super-duper, titanium-bladed chicken wire then any errant fowl would be diced to bits before hitting the turbines, thus (literally) cutting its impact on the engine.
   This phenomenon has been a deadly problem for decades; does it really require rocket science to solve this?
   Are you telling me no single aviation scientist in the freaking world has been able to figure this one out, or did I miss something somewhere?

No comments: