Sunday, April 8, 2012

It's nearly time to eat the rich

    A big part of the reason high school education isn’t enough to make it anymore is because they stopped teaching anything in high school worth knowing — no life skills, no critical thinking, no value of depth or perspective on anything. Schools teach kids to entertain themselves and to pass standardized tests which, as we are finding out, are now under scrutiny for widespread cheating. That's what kids are learning in our public schools. [or maybe it's the teachers that are learning]
   So as it is, as long as you carried a C average in high school these days (I believe that’s achievable by merely showing up) and you have enough of your own {or mummy and daddy’s} money, or get a bank to give you more money than you have ever seen before (you’re 18 years old now), you can go get a degree from a 4-year college (which takes six years to finish because of the skewed pattern which universities offer courses).
   And what good is that piece of paper and an $80,000 loan to pay off (not to mention the beer tab) when the jobs that are being offered will get you, these days, $30,000? Health insurance, or any other benefits? Ha.
   Considering a particular group of college-age kids I met today, my guess is things are most definitely worse.
   There they working on Easter morning; for no extra pay. No holiday pay for Americans working in the South in a store that is open on Easter Sunday. One of the kids mumbled that, “we had it last year, but they took it away this year.”
   While I’m only reporting on what I observed, and did not seek out any official word from Sweetbay supermarkets, the demeanor of the workers told the story. I encountered a half dozen workers. They all appeared upset and aloof during my brief visit.
   I remember those days.
   On the 200th birthday of our country — of our individual freedom — I had to go to work at Handyman Home Center in Fairborn, Ohio, because the Fourth of July parade was assembling in the shopping center parking lot where the store was and the owner thought it would be a good idea for the store to be open.

   For six hours I was able to direct about ten people to our bathrooms. They didn’t buy a thing. And there was no time and a half or double time for that BS either.
   We as a middle class haven't advanced much since 1976. We are, in fact, slip, sliding further away.

No comments: