Sunday, July 12, 2009

Here's a real tweet deal

   More evidence that Twitter is for nitwits comes from uSocial, an Australian social media marketing company, which is offering a paid service that finds followers for users of the micro-blogging juggernaut.
  According to uSocial, Twitter followers (Tweeters?) are available for sale at a rate of $87 per 1,000, with the biggest block for sale being 100,000 people.
  The company profiles where people are so it "can more closely match users with those they might want to follow."
   USocial then sends messages to potential followers telling them about the new Twitter user they might want to follow.
   According to company propaganda, a broad range of clients has signed up to buy followers, including educational organizations, churches, companies and marketing firms.
   "Companies are building up as many followers as they can and trying to monetize them in the future," said Robin Goad, a research director at Hitwise who has analyzed Twitter growth. "Twitter is becoming one of the key viral channels." 
   Um, yeah, sounds a bit like, um, ah ... spam.
  Free spam for Twitter users? How have I managed to resist this networking waste-of-time that appears to have the shelf life of a peach?
  I dunno, but if I decide to jump in at least I know I can buy me some faux friends from God knows where because I don't have to care as long as I'm 'popular.'

No comments: