Wednesday, July 1, 2009

The latest in telephoniness

   While calling a certain electric utility company with an inquiry, I am first routed through the obligatory Q&A process {Press 6 if you are an abject moron for putting up with this shite}, after which a disembodied male voice tells me that while "everybody is busy and the average wait time will be 3 minutes, if you leave a callback number we will call you in 12 to 15 minutes."

  Wow, that's impressive.

  Someone is going to call me because I am so special. So I punch in my phone number and (when ordered) croak out my name and then hang up.

  Twelve to fifteen minutes later the phone rings. It is a different disembodied voice on the other end, with the directive: "When (me me croaking my name) can come to the phone, have him Press 1 {because we don't want any toddlers, criminals or animals in your abode to speak for you}."

   As I was who I am I Pressed 1 and was informed, yet again, that: "All of our representatives are currently assisting other eternally worshipped customers such as yourself, please stay on the line. The average wait time is ..."

No comments: