Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Weary electorate: "Are we there yet?"

Was Chris Christie looking ahead?
Well, Election Day is here and I want to stress that the official day will always be the day I vote, although, should I be nonabulatory in the future I may need help getting to the polling station.
   It’s just that simple for me and I am saddened by the notion of voting early.
   Election Day should be a national holiday — there is no greater civic duty than voting.
   While I understand reasons given for early voting I believe the problems cited could be remedied with a national holiday, thus giving all but mission-essential workers the day off. It would widen the pool of potential committed poll workers and
those mission-essential workers would vote absentee two weeks ahead of of voting day.
   But enough of voting procedures.
   It should be a fascinating day [or month(s)] ahead but a lot of people are going to be disappointed at the end.
   Each campaign has fielded effective propaganda machines. As election cycles evolve, more and more precise focus groups and polling provide ever more specific data regarding voters and potential voters. Both President Obama and Gov. Romney have smart people working for them — and some rather devious ones.
   It’s a crime, however, that an estimated $2 billion was spent in the process. The only bright side is that the figure likely gave a boost to certain segments of the economy, cities in
battleground states in particular.
   I have no clue as to who will win but I think the final margin may be wider than the pollsters have predicted.
   I just wonder which campaign image will likely be linked to today: the aftermath of the first debate or the (pictured) glowing words clingy New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie gave to the president in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy.


No comments: