Sunday, June 7, 2009

Walk like an Egyptian

   I am all for our supreme leader being more comfortable with our Arab friends, but the televised sight of Mr. Obama in shades, a golf shirt and slacks, munching on gum while standing on a more than 4,000-year-old engineering masterpiece made me wince a bit.
   I'm not too sure proud Egyptians will take to the very laid-back, all-too-American approach to their cultural heritage. I hope it's not a Muslamic faux pas for the prez now that he's stepping into the great Middle East Morass.
  I'm sure the Yids were flipping their lids Thursday after his Cairo speech where he said, "Israelis must acknowledge that just as Israel's right to exist cannot be denied, neither can Palestine's," and, oh yeah, [I'm paraphrasing here] "Ya know, if the Iranians want nuclear energy to spark up their light bulbs, who are we to say 'No'?"
  To {perhaps} mollify our 52nd state, Mr. Obama repeated his mantra regarding the Shoah [initially uttered in Cairo] in a perfunctory visit to Buchenwald the very next day. Draped in a barbed-wire backdrop, a dutiful Angie Merkel (is she depressed?) stood behind the Big O as he once again ensured our Jewish brethren that they will not be forgotten.
   It's interesting that in his first visit as president to Germany he chose to underscore one of the most painful periods for the Fatherlanders. I'm sure the Krauts would have rather he stopped by a beer hall for a liter or two {if that was all the time he was going to spend in the country}, und ya, look, Fritzi's Haus of Schnapps is right over there, but — what's that? — it's 'date night with Michelle'? Yup. It's Friday.
   Barack (sheepishly) to Angie: "Wellllllll, it is Friday annnnd Michelle's in Paris with the kids and, sheesh, Saturday we have that D-Day Party that [of course] you're not invited to, soooooo, I think we're done here."
   So from the dinge of a concentration camp he cruised to the City of Light — let's party. [I dunno. I've been to a couple concentration camps. I never felt anything other than numb afterwards.]
  Saturday he was off to Normandy where he stood tall over D-Day commemorations, capping a triumphant intercontinental lap for The Man.
  How's he going to top this?
   Set up a cot in Swat until Osama is caught? It might work. CNN would love it — Obama vs. Osama: Mano-a-mano in the mountains.
  The dude is definitely on a roll.
   (I just hope he didn't leave his wad of gum stuck on a stone in Giza.)

No comments: