Sunday, September 25, 2011

Well, I was hungry at the time

   I remember when there used to be good Chinese buffets even in a small town. Now it's impossible to find a decent one anywhere. I've come to the conclusion that the head Reds — after vacuuming up our jobs and our debt — have been sending us their second stringers for the last five years.
   Even so, last weekend, after driving for half an hour only to find Macy's closed, I suggested the family try this Asian buffet nearby (I didn't want the trip to be a total loss and I was feeling a bit peckish and adventurous).
   Bad idea.
   The food was sparse and horrible and ended up costing nearly $50. The only lasting remembrance of the place is a paper cut on my left index finger.
   But enough of that.
   This past week I was also forced to be reminded of "Nevermind" [oh, thank you AP!} as it is the 20th anniversary of the release of the album that turned a generation of slackers into a generation of quitters. Of course Kurt Cobain then blew out his brain when he finally took a closer look at his fan base and realized they were actually buying into his Scheiß.
   So, I didn't listen to the radio all week for fear of being smothered by Nirvana's nattering nonsense.
    Also inescapable [if you watch TV news or "The Young and the Restless"] are the obscene depictions of women in Swiffer ads.
   Posing as disgusting glop found on the floor, the dirty or muddy characters are graciously swept up by a Swiffer sponge-thingy, apparently inducing a near-orgasmic experience for the glopees. I dunno; but if I were a woman I'm not so sure I'd be warm to a product that puts me on the level of floor splatter.
   And capping off this week's rant, I cannot let this moment pass without mentioning CBS's latest network foray into racial stereotyping.
   Not since "Barney Miller" or "Taxi" or "Golden Girls" have I see such shameless negative depictions of blondes, blacks, Russians or Asians as was offered in the debut of "2 Broke Girls" {here's a (dis)taste of what CBS is claiming to be the #1 hit comedy series}.
   They've had one show and I watched the first five minutes before changing the channel so I don't know if they crapped on the Mexicans and Italians, too.
   The 'Girls' time slot came immediately after the much anticipated return of "Two and a Half Men" {now with Ashton Kutcher as an oft-naked, clueless billionaire [basically a grown version of his "That '70s Show" persona]}, so naturally 'Girls' garnered huge viewership numbers merely because where it was scheduled.
   I imagine "2 Broke Girls" will continue, but I'm waiting for a larger rage from the Asian community to emerge. It should.

No comments: