Sunday, March 25, 2012

"I'm diggin' up bones ..."

I always thought this was just a cute logo.
    Sometimes it takes decades to make a connection.
   In the case I am about to reveal, there is no valid reason as to why it took so long for me to make said linkage.
   I am speaking of the dinosaur which was part and parcel of Sinclair Oil's logo for decades. Simple and direct. Can't miss message. No bones about it, so to speak.
   I finally got the joke a couple of weeks ago (and I am a person older than ffffffffffffifty).
   When I was a kid, Sinclair had inflatable brontosauri (which I think they even gave away) and "Dino" had become part of Americana. And then, of course, The Flintstones, who used their feet to actually propel their 'cars' and 'Dino' served as a pet for the rock-solid family. I was just into dinosaurs and never once made the connection to the rich residue that remained long after their existence.
   Sinclair's product? Fuel from dead dinosaurs.
   Pretty humbling — and increasingly surreal — that even though there seems a daily frantic, global drive of technological innovation to find a common renewable energy, we still depend on an unknown amount of buried liquid from extinct beings in order to make modern transportation and, in some cases, home heating, possible.
   Not to mention the amount of petroleum (un)necessarily wasted on product manufacturing and packaging which is relentlessly designed, fashioned and tossed into trash bins.
   Think of all the products you buy that have plastic as an integral part of the product and then add to it the plastic package that wraps it up. So if the price of oil goes up, so does the production cost of most products and that cost is passed on to you and me.
   There are times when I'm driving amid a sea of cars [and those wonderful SUVs with only one person inside], that I think, 'man, there must have been a whole lotta dinosaurs roaming around to still be providing us with fuel.'
   Isn't it just mind-boggling?
Classic automotive signs at the friendly folks of Bob's Auto in Zephyrhills, Florida. 

Editor's note: Entry title references an 'old' song (something from the late 1980s, meebe his biggest hit) by Randy Travis, who's a bit of a 'dinosaur' himself today. Helluva country vocalist. 

No comments: