Oh, to be a fly on the wall in the halls of the Oval Office today.
There can’t be a more important meeting going on that's going to affect the rest of the world, possibly forever — it is, after all, 2012.
And the 'leading' doomsayers set the 'end of the world' date on Dec 20, coming in neatly [ahem] 44 days after the 44th president’s probable re-election.
There appears to be no love lost between Benjamin Netanyahu, the prime minister of Israel, and Barack Obama, the prez of US.
Things didn’t start well with Obama’s first official visit as president where he went to not to Jerusalem, but to the heart of Islam, delivering an "ich bin ein Mooselimb" shout out in Cairo.
Following his hero's welcome, Mr. Obama stiffed a stop in the Holy Land (an hour's flight from Cairo to Tel Aviv) and opted instead for a cup o’kaffe and a photo op with Angie Merkel at a Nazi death camp and then it was off to romance the girls in Paris.
It has been a less than cozy relationship with our 51st state ever since, getting no icier than the last time the pair met nearly a year ago at the Oval Office.
Fresh from his annual AIPAC meeting in Maryland where Bibi explained the conditions on the ground back home, the next day’s meeting was as disaster for Obama (even he said so).
And then came the Arab Spring.
While the American administration gently embraced the unwashed mobs screaming for ‘democracy’ [and who eventually sexually assaulted television reporters], I think the Israelis took a step back and said, "Now hold on here. Take a deeeeeep breath [and add a few more gas masks to the shopping list]."
Saddam Hussein, Mubarak, Gaddafi and Saleh may have been thieves and murderers, but they were the murderers you knew.
Now what?
The UN (Uniformly Neutered) watches slaughter in Syria and Nigeria and elsewhere.
The two regimes that seem to have a decent grip on the status quo are Iran and Saudi Arabia. To allow Iran any more power in the region simply cannot happen and the Saudis seem to be exporting raw prospects for Al Qaeda to the rest of the fledgling caliphate.
Imagine today’s Oval Office chat:
BHO: Hey, Bibi, welcome back to the White House.
BN: I want to bomb Iran now.
BHO: [slight chuckle] Well, I know, I know, wouldn't we all? But can’t we just wait until after Nov 6? Before then would be just a bit, well, a tad messy for me.
BN: I want to bomb Iran now.
BHO: [leaning forward] Now, listen, Beebs, we give you all the money we can spare and nearly all the defense you would ever need, you can’t expect US to give you carte blanche’ to do whatever you want to with our support?
BN: Yes, I can.
BHO: Okay, okay, but really, can we light that candle on Nov. 7, that way I can announce today that we are in lock-step against Iran. That would really, really help and you want to see me get re-elected? Right? ... Beebs? ...The Beebster? ...Hello?
BN: I want to bomb Iran ... now.
BHO: I know, I know, {sheesh, that midget from Paris hit it on the head}, but please, Bibi, please hang in for another eight months.
BN: I want to bomb Iran ... now.
BHO: Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment