I'm glad to see some sense provided by an appliance manufacturer, as Whirlpool recently whipped out a new premium exterior finish that they call “White Ice.”
I really don't care what they call it as long as it signals an end to the absurd fascination with stainless steel.
If you don't have stainless steel appliances you won't know what's driving me mad, but if you do you know exactly what I'm talking about.
Stainless steel requires a specific cleaner and specific application in order for the appliance to look clean and spiffy.
Stainless steel shows every flaw and fingerprint, grinning back at you with ridiculous disdain.
It is impossible [for me at least] to keep everything looking as it should because it can reflect so little so glaringly.
I assume the whole craze began with some hoitytoity celebrity who wanted their kitchen to look like a chef lived there. Well, the chefs I know don't have to clean up after themselves so they could care less.
Fact is, most homes in the US contain neither a master chef nor a janitor.
And whenever I hear 'stainless steel' paired with 'granite countertops' I just want to hurl.
What's the big deal whether it's granite or not? There are just as good and good-looking counter tops that aren't granite and they cost less. But that doesn't matter when you're house-shopping as the real estate agents would always harp about 'stainless steel' and 'granite counter tops' as if it were freaking manna from heaven.
Sheesh.
With their new line of appliance finishes Whirlpool reportedly hopes to attract customers who have tired of stainless steel.
Count me in.
No comments:
Post a Comment