Thursday, October 11, 2012

There's flashing lights and there's flashing lights

    My wife and I don’t see eye to eye about a lot of things, one of which amuses me greatly.
   Apparently in Florida there’s a recent law that allows motorists to flash their high beams to warn motorists coming the other direction of an upcoming speed trap.
   A Seminole County Circuit Court Judge has decided the activity is protected free speech under the First Amendment.
   Judge Alan Dickey decided that the state law regarding flashing lights, Florida Statute 316.2397(7), was being misinterpreted by the police agencies issuing the tickets.
   As it turns out, the law prohibits having flashing lights on your car, not the act of flashing your lights.
   Where the missus and I disagree is that she thinks the flashing of lights is an example of anti-social behavior and I think it’s more of a social behavior — like saying ‘Hi,’ to your neighbor or easily helping out someone you don't even know.
   So what if the cops aren’t too thrilled by the flashing of the beams, the action gets people to slow down and watch their speed.
   Now I don’t warn anyone driving a Hummer or a monster truck.

   For me, at least, it allows a bit of an anti-social smirk to curl across my face.

No comments: