Sunday, April 19, 2009

It's for your protection, punk

   One of the more amusing instruments of protection that's been around a bit is the friendly reminder {no doubt a lie} one receives when calling a business and put on hold, especially utilities and credit operations.
  It comes after you have successfully weaved your way through the maze of prompts and necessary inputs [as if it is some sort of consolation prize]: "For your protection, this phone call may be monitored."
  Protection, no doubt, but whose? On the surface, yeah, it aims to mollify the caller; ensure him that the extortionists on the other end "take your call seriously."
  After further review, I'm thinking it's meant to be more of a 'simmer down' flick to the caller's head: Watch your attitude, dude, we're documenting your {by now} short fuse. Kinda like a bank camera's purpose — a smiley threat of sorts: remain calm, follow our rules and nobody gets hurt.
  The next time I successfully clear the obstacles and am allowed a live voice on the other end I believe I'll begin with, "Hi, Such-and-such, for your protection I am recording this conversation ..." — make him think the conversation really is being recorded on my end and see what reaction I get. You know — a smiley threat — just so everybody feels secure.

No comments: