Monday, September 7, 2009

Oh, wither the weather?

  {A Labor Day entry, not usually my style to skip publishing on a Sunday.}
   For the life of me I can't understand why I keep going back to The Weather Channel when all it is they do is find new ways to disappoint.
  I mean, whatever happened to Paul Emmick? The dude has the classic broadcast delivery that is so rarely heard anymore. {Where did he go?}
   Aside from that, don't expect to see detailed radar should the sky be rolling back on any given afternoon, as spectacular documentary footage of what weather has happened or may happen "tomorrow'" is splattered across the screen.
   I can look out the window and see lightning or a black horizon in the afternoon, but, rest assured, The Weather Channel won't be showing me the current radar. No, no, no, you don't want to see if a tornado is forming 25 miles away when you can be stuck with amateur footage of how Muffy and her friends got a bit wetter than expected on a Caribbean cruise in 19freaking97!!!!
   Fortunately in Florida, a local affiliate has its own digital radar feed on Channel 23653 {or something}, so I can find the current, double doppler, über snooper, eye of the tiger radar, and thus ignore the dated documentaries on TWC.
  And despite the afternoon disappointment, I would still tune in to The Weather Channel in the morning {or as the Ken or Barbie crowd like to say "in the morning hours"} to get a better sense of what might be going currently on in the Southeast or Midwest.
   And then they found a way to make the mornings unwatchable: Al Roker.
   Mind you this has been going on for a month now and I'll catch myself flipping to the channel a few times a week to see if anyone has seized the moment to have yanked the yapping, aging weirdo away from the camera.
   Alas, no.
  If I liked Al Roker, I would watch him on NBC.
   But Mr. Roker has never 'done it' for me and I certainly do not want to "Wake up with Al." And in the phony, slightly creepy, weather 'personality' clown cadre, Mr. Roker (and his white shadow Willard Scott) are the last two people I would ever watch in the morning or any other "hours".
   I guess we can thank NBC for pimping out their "talent" to make a few extra bucks, but again, I used to watch The Weather Channel to avoid such broadcast atrocities.
  I want to know what the weather is doing here now, that is why I would expect to find it on The Weather Channel, but instead they just find new ways to morph into The Cutsey, Inane, Trite Banter, Absolute Bullshit Channel.

No comments: