Sunday, September 13, 2009

No love lost in tennis tirade


   Quite the dispiriting time for some sports fans (depending on one's perspective) in one of the most dramatic weekends I can recall.
  Certainly the whole state of Ohio should be on suicide watch as within 18 hours Ohio State dropped a nail-biter {at home} to the much-hated USC Trojans and their newest golden boy {we're going to get sick of the hype surrounding this kid real fast} an then, on the "professional" side, the Cleveland Browns were chewed up and spat out by the Minnesota Vikings and the Cincinnati Bengals must wonder why God hates them so much. Again, both teams were embarrassed on their home fields.
  But the one person who can't find a hole deep enough to crawl into has got to be Serena Williams for her verbal beat-down of a miniscule lineswoman, resulting in a the superstar's unprecedented exit from the U.S. Open.
  While I feel bad for the lineswoman (hell, she may be near-suicidal at this point if she's unsure at all about her call of a foot-fault on Ms. Williams), every time Serena tries to explain her side it only gets worse for her, not better. The incident is likely to overshadow the whole tournament.
  I saw Serena play in Leipzig a few years back, and I'll tell you in person she appears even more imposing — she is a stunning, powerful physical specimen and I can't imagine being on the receiving end of a verbal assault from her. Whether the diminutive lineswoman was correct or not, I can completely understand if she was scared poopless.
   It was just a sad, uncomfortable scene and Serena couldn't backtrack fast enough to make it all go away.
  The UK Telegraph has an interesting lineup of famous tennis rants and, when inspected, reveals that Serena's meltdown may not be the worst of them.

No comments: