Sunday, September 19, 2010

No, that's not it — oh, just forget it

   I must stand and applaud CNN's effort to conjure up a 'news' story regarding women talking about the comfort level of talking about their G-spots — it may be commentary, but it is certainly not news.
   It's not anything really, other than a small, myopic group of people justifying their existence at the alleged leader in World News by creating a sure-fire Web traffic generator — women's G-spots.
   "It's a pretty big shift for a traditional news organization like CNN to invite real-time conversation on its own pages. We're committed to the idea because we know our coverage is often better when we involve the audience. But we also know it will take a lot of trying and learning and adjusting to get it right.''
   Well, actually, coverage is often better when you have more than five same-sex, like-minded people involved in the editorial process but I am relieved to know that Lila King sees value in 'trying, learning and adjusting' simply to get a story right — I mean I'm glad she recognizes the purported criteria.
   I bet they're rolling on the floor over at the BBC at the continued effort of CNN to be the "global news" leader. CNN first and foremost is interested in making money, this is one of the reasons they're getting killed by FOX because they simply spend more time shilling ads than they spend on delivering news. I'd say conservatively, 70% of the time I turn the channel to CNN, they're on commercial.
   Along with their other mediocre media products (and their slimmed-down or closed world-wide bureaus) the communications giant stoops to conquer my insomnia with the screamer: Sex and comments while still providing themselves with editorial cover by stating "Also, due to the volume of comments we receive, not all comments will be posted."
   My ass. They have more space than they know what to do with — viewers' comments are text, for God's sake, it doesn't take up any space. What they mean is, "If your views don't match our expectations, they won't appear."
   Whatever happened to Lou Waters?

No comments: