Sunday, April 3, 2011

CNN: The leader in arrogance

   One could go back and forth about the relative credence of what comes out of Fox 'News' but interestingly enough they are not the leader in self-appointed piety.
   That would be CNN.
   I can't say I've ever been more disappointed in a venture as I have with the network that Ted Turner built.
   I'll never forget Ted Koppel's smugness during his ABC Nightline interview of Turner (hardly a wallflower himself) on the day that CNN began broadcasting.
   During the next two decades (really within ten years), Turner's network out-hustled and outworked ABC, CBS and NBC, burying the Big Three's status as the "leaders in journalism."
   This was back when CNN had Lou Waters, Bernie Shaw and Jeff Greenfield. This is the network that gave us Christiane Amanpour.
   CNN still has some quality anchors (and thank God in heaven neither Tony Harris nor the equally Pecksniffian Rick Sanchez are there anymore) but the inclusion of Eliot Spitzer as a "journalist" or "commentator" is one of the most ridiculously obscene moves I can imagine and a slap in the face of their dwindling audience.
   This rich, pampered, slimy reptile would be behind bars if the state of New York wasn't so totally embarrassed by the former governor's illicit and (let's face it) criminal activities he engaged in while in office that they just wanted him to go.
   This sordid shyster totally shat upon his wife, family, constituents and obliterated whatever dignity and credibility he ever had once his preference for high-priced prostitutes was laid bare.
   And CNN gives him his own show? Since his program began in December, Spitzer has driven off his co-host (Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Kathleen Parker) which necessitated a title change and reformat.
   How can that network pass judgment on anyone anymore? How can that network expect credibility or faith if they so shamelessly ignore any sense of morality?
   I dunno, but don't be surprised if CNN boots Ali Velshi off of Your $$$ and replaces him with Bernie Madoff ... broadcasting from behind bars, of course.

1 comment:

debzwez said...

'Bad Banking with Bernie." I'm in.