![]() |
| Zephyrhills, Fla., Christmas parade 2012 |
Perhaps the Mayans and Nostradamus and others were speaking in a more general than specific sense regarding Dec. 21.
If that’s the case the prognosticators may be correct.
Just look around.
I’m going to keep this entry as upbeat as possible yet to ignore current events would be impossible.
I, for one, and others I am sure, have yet to fully process what happened in Newton, Connecticut one week ago. As I alluded to in a previous post, highly intelligent young males and weapons are becoming a lethal combination. But finally it seems that one of the most ignored realities of mental illness is beginning to emerge in the national debate.
The collective denial of one of the most obvious aspects of American society is mental illness. I’m sure the rest of the world, despite their envy of our freedoms and wealth, looks at US as having a sick society.
We need help but are too arrogant to admit it. We are Lindsay Lohan and Charlie Sheen but armed with weapons.
But as I said, I am still processing the meaning of the Connecticut carnage other than to recognize that we need to save ourselves from ourselves.
To say that it is ironic that the idyllic movie depiction of “Christmas in Connecticut” will now be tinged with dread would be too cavalier. But that snug state of the union has had it’s suburban cocoon of wealthy sanctity shredded, maybe forever.
I know all I want for this Christmas and every day after is to hug my daughter.
___________________________________
The main reason for the delay of today’s entry is being able to work again, albeit on a limited basis.
Overcoming, or should I say living with, the burden of rheumatoid arthritis has been an uphill climb. Interestingly enough another person I work with also has RA and talking to her about her accomplishments and limitations with the dis-ease has enlightened me some. We both agree that no matter what the pain level may be, you take on a perspective that the condition is the ‘new normal’ and simply adapt.
I’m finding that the more I focus on the task(s) at hand the less I allow the pain to affect me; I think it’s just something one has to do in order to cope.
Without a doubt, being able to contribute to a wider audience has lifted my spirits considerably. Being able to meet new characters and discover their stories is really helping my head.
___________________________________
But it’s the Christmas, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa season for good and for ill. I say for ill because once again — and apparently forever — there is no escaping the Menace of McCartney.
Yes, for every person there is a seasonal song that absolutely drives them up the wall. For my one sister the tune is “Feliz Navidad.” Decades ago when she was working retail during the holidays the Jose Feliciano contribution was ruthlessly piped over and over, forever coloring a distaste for blind Puerto Rican musicians into her psyche.
A couple of years ago my brother-in-law wearily complained of the “unstoppable” assault of "Jingle Bells," in whatever store he shopped.
For myself (and I am certain millions of others) Sir Talentless Paul McCartney’s “Wonderful Christmastime” induces a desire to stab myself with knitting needles.
Once again I found myself trapped in line at CVS when this vapid collection of sylables emerging from the maw of the biggest phony on Earth attacked my senses.
Don’t believe me? Here’s the “lyrics”:
The moon is right
The spirits up
We're here tonight
And that's enough
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
The party's on
The feelin's here
That only comes
This time of year
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
The choir of children sing their song
Ding dong, ding dong
Ding dong, ding Ohhhh
Ohhhhhhh
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
The word is out
About the town
To lift a glass
Ahhh don't look down
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
The choir of children sing their song
They practiced all year long
Ding dong, ding dong
Ding dong, ding dong
Ding dong, ding dong
The party's on
The spirits up
We're here tonight
And that's enough
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
Simply having a wonderful Christmastime
The moon is right
The spirits up
We're here tonight
And that's enough
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
Simply having a wonderful christmastime
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Christmastime
Ohhhhhhhhh, indeed; my 5-year-old daughter could compose lyrics less vacuous than this drivel.
So I invite readers to send me the title of the one seasonal song that has you torching the Yule tree.
But I digress.
As the middle of the country seems assured of a White Christmas, here in Florida we've got a stiff breeze and temps in the 50s to get us in the mood. While there are positive aspects of living in the Sunshine State, having spent most of my years up north, it is surreal not having snow or near-freezing temps this time of year.
No matter what the weather conditions are I urge you to stay close to your loved ones and remember, it's not your presents, it's your presence that counts the most.
Merry Christmas. Happy holidays. Stay warm. Stay close.


No comments:
Post a Comment