Wednesday, December 23, 2009

(cough, cough) License, please

  Mind you I've gotten way used to having my ID checked when I buy even NON-ALCOHOLIC beer at the grocery store, but what occurred this morning gave me pause.
  While checking out my purchases at the local Target someone named "New Team Member" requested my driver's license. But when I showed it to her she said, "Oh, no, sir, I need it out of the wallet, I need to scan it."
   Now there's always a bit of flattery when asked to see my ID, but to SCAN IT for COUGH SYRUP?
   The cause of my consternation?
   First, it is obvious I am no where near 18 or 21 or 25 or 30 years old (I've got this svelte, mid-50s thing going on); second, Target does not trust their cashiers to make this observation; third, what information are they sucking off my driver's license and what are they going to do with it???
   Currently I do not know if this is a Target stores' policy; a Pasco County requirement; or a state of Florida requirement, but it seems a bit intrusive, even more-so than the obnoxious Toys R Us practice of needing your phone number to make their cash registers open.

No comments: