Sunday, December 20, 2009

Gluing Jesus back together


   I know this time of year many are dreaming of what new stuff they might get in a stocking or in a box under a tree, but this year, this week I'm making an effort to repair what I already have and enjoy it anew.
   Having moved frequently since this millennium, there's plenty of things that need fixed, including a crucifix I purchased in Vienna a few days after 9/11. Well the last move from West Virginia to Florida proved to be too much for the delicate icon and the left arm ended up broken from the shoulder.
   And maybe that was it; that and some other stresses of settling in to a new home in a new community where we barely know a soul. Maybe the damaged crucifix was the last symbol to let me know that no matter what new may come next Friday that it's more important to take care of what I already possess: to stop and repair what's been roughed up since the turn of the century in order to feel more grounded.
   So after gluing Jesus back together I've got a whole drawer of items that have come apart or broken that I will turn my attention to so by Christmas Day I can truly enjoy what's new and truly be grateful for what I already have.

No comments: